Once in a while you need to find time and relax your mind with a game or two. A pool table is a great investment for this and it can be installed at home or at the working place. Having some time out of the norm relaxs the mind and you excel in the tasks you were doing earlier.
Just like many people out there, I thought that the brand or type of ball I buy will just be good for the game and it will not affect my experience when playing the game. Well shock on you if you are at the point I was in those many years ago. I have come to know and experience the different billiard balls and I can smell a great ball from miles.
Do not be cheated to think that with a perfect diameter tolerance (basically means how round the pool balls are) you are good to go. Many manufacturers took up this as a selling point since all of them can achieve that. This article dissects everything you need to know right from the history, the different materials used in the manufacturing process, best brands, and a recommendation for what we strongly feel fits every billiards player be it a novice or a professional.
What are the Best pool balls to buy?
- 1 What are the Best pool balls to buy?
- 2 Top 5 Best Pool Ball Reviews
- 3 The development history of billiards balls.
- 4 The Billiards Ball Buying Guide Reviews
- 5 Conclusion
Getting it right at this stage will mean many years of a happy player. We are however not ruling out buying the cheap low grade balls for a table that you use once every year. They will simply do no harm to it and you will still enjoy the game. However, if you play more than once every week, you will need high end balls that will last longer, protect your felt cloth and give you a consistent play from the first day of use to the last.
To enjoy a game of pool or snooker consistently, you need top quality balls, excellent cue sticks and the best chalk in the market. These balls need to be changed from time to time due to wear and tear among other factors. We took our time and researched on the best quality balls that you ought to buy in your next outing. Keep reading and enjoy the game like the experts.
Top 5 Best Pool Ball Reviews
The development history of billiards balls.
The billiard games have been around for many centuries and different generations have contributed to its development. At the very onset, the balls were made of wood. Achieving the perfect round shape with the wood was very hard almost UN-achievable. The balls were easily affected by climatic conditions and they could easily break not to mention the continuous change of color with continuous use.
- In the 1600’s, ivory was the preferred product as it produced very round balls that were resistant to climatic change. The production was however halted in the 19th century due to the great reduction of elephants around the world. The production simply could not be sustainable in future. A single tusk could only make eight balls meaning that a set of fifteen balls was equivalent to one elephant. Even though some old players still swear that the best ever balls were from the ivories, it simply endangered the lives of the elephants.
- There were other materials like clay that came along the way. Clay produced perfect round balls but they could hardly withstand the constant hitting from time to time. The balls break during the game which is the number one reason why they are never recommended. Current developers have however come up with more resistant clay balls that will last longer. Many people prefer clay balls due to the cheap price tag that accompanies them.
- In present times, the production of the balls has gone a notch higher to the use of phenolic resin. This is a laboratory product that has zero effect on the environment and it produces perfect balls that have zero tolerance to breaking and chipping. Regulatory bodies including the Billiards Congress of America have recommended the use of phenolic resin.
According to Saluc S.A 80% of all players in the world use the phenolic resin made balls. The Belgian manufacturing company that has been in the business since 1923 is best known for their Aramith Brand. They produce balls for pool, billiards and snooker games among other industrial balls and bearings with high tolerancesfor.
Aramith products stand out in the market simply because of their consistence in the raw materials their use in the production process. Many professionals know that the density, molecular structure and the balance of the balls greatly affect the play quality. Some erratic ball behaviors like inconsistent banking, zigzagging balls, random ball positioning and missing shots are as a result of inconsistency in the ball density.
There are other plastics and resins that are used in manufacturing today. They include clear acrylic and plastic and they are used to make top quality balls too. Elephant billiard balls are made from these combinations to give excellent balls with a high gloss finish. The finish keeps the balls from wearing the table cloth.
Read Related Posts
The Billiards Ball Buying Guide Reviews
This is a guide that will not only give you a huge spectrum of selection, it will also list the balls that have been tried and tested over time. The billiard balls were considered by thoroughly researching and identifying the materials they have been made from. The top choices are made of highly polished phenolic resin or top grade plastics. Another great consideration was the diameter tolerance ensuring that the balls are of perfect spherical shapes giving the ball a perfect spin. The resistance to cracking and chipping was also considered not to mention other factors that range from the weight and the balance of the ball that gives the ball accuracy, precision and consistency.
The balls that will be featured meet all the set standards and they are recommended for home games and competitions. They have a deep colors that will catch your eyes and the numbers are easy to read and brightly displayed. Due to the quality of the balls, the colors and numbers won’t be erased over time giving you value for many years to come.
Examining And Testing Pool Balls
When choosing your balls in a local store or soon after receiving your online ordered balls, you should check them and examine them. The set of balls should be well colored and the paint should not be spilling over. The areas near the numbers and at the edge of painted stripes should not be blurred neither should they appear to have any chippings.
Any cracked or chipped ball will wobble off the line if you roll them slowly on a level table.
There are many ball sets in the market today that will match you likes and fit your needs perfectly. All you need to do before the purchase is read excellent reviews like you just did and go ahead and buy the set that matches your budget. Remember to include the best pool ball rack in your purchase in case you don’t have one as this is a requirement when setting the balls on the table. Keep learning, keep practicing until you get to your best.